Saturday, April 24, 2010

Barbeque Chicken Sandwich

Tonight I decided to make BBQ Chicken Sandwiches for dinner but wanted to do something different. Neither Joe or I are big chicken fans so I knew I would have to do something spectacular to spice it up. As I began searching online I came up with the perfect sandwich. I needed, rolls, chicken, cheese, BBQ sauce avocados,
onion, turkey bacon, buttermilk and a few other ingredients I could find in my pantry.((Sorry, I didn't take pictures throughout the process so you will have to forgive the after pictures with missing pieces!!))

I started by slicing an onion on my mandolin so they were super thin. I then placed them in a bow and covered them in low-fat buttermilk making sure all the onions were covered. Next I cooked the turkey bacon. Then I sliced the chicken down the middle to make it thinner. I then used Emeril seasoning (because it was the first thing I saw in the cupboard) on both sides of the chicken. I cooked the chicken the in the same pan I cooked the bacon in. When the chicken is finished cooking place slices of cheese on top. We choose colby, but you can use whatever type you like.

                   
While the chicken was cooking I smooshed up 3 avocados (probably could have gotten away with just 2) and got my oil ready to go. (I used a candy thermometer so I knew when the oil reached 375.) I probably should have started the oil a little earlier so it was hot and ready to go. Oh well, it all worked out. When the oil was ready I took the soacked onions out of the bowl and put them in a larger bowl that had 2 cups flour, 1 tablespoon, salt, and pepper and chili powder to taste. I made sure to fully dredge the onions and then placed a few at a time in to the oil.
                      These are the finished onions "crispies"
 It was then time to assemble the sandwiches. We toasted the bread, lathered both sides with barbecue sauce followed by avocado, a piece of chicken, a handful of onion crispies and a couple pieces of turkey bacon. 


Tah-Dah!!! I must say this was probably the best chicken sadwich I have EVER and at home or at a restaurant!!

No comments:

Post a Comment